Monday 18 November 2013

The Commando Camp - Part 2

We are woken at 6am on Saturday morning & told we have 15 minutes to be outside. Awesome, just enough time to get dressed & have a quick wash & maybe even brush my teeth.....NEXT MINUTE - we have FIVE minutes to be outside! Rather comical seeing 11 women in one dorm frantically trying to get ready so we're not fined more burpees!

We get outside & Sharon & I aren't wearing our white t-shirts with our names on them, we are told to go & get them. We madly scramble back up to the dorm to put them & come back, only to realise that we didn't take our dowels with us so 10 more burpees each added to the burpee debt - 2 others did the same so 40 burpees added to the camps burpee debt in the space of 2 minutes - this was not going to be a good day.

We were taken through our paces by Commando with some burpees, planks, push ups & other "fun" things in the grass that was filled with bindis & prickly dry grass but you just had to suck it up & get it done!

Breakfast followed which relaxed everyone as we guessed that we wouldn't be made to workout straight after eating - but we weren't allowed to get too carried away, as we had only a few minutes to spare after brekkie to get back to the meeting room for a mindset chat with Commando Steve. All I wanted to do was brush my teeth, fill my water bottle & maybe a quick spot of deodorant - and even then it was rushed....the mindset session was good, we had a few moments in between so I went & got my first pic with Commando and then Nick & Dan - who told me that they were worried whether I was going to turn up to the morning workout after my tears the night before, they were very supportive & Shaz & I were starting to think that maybe, just maybe we could get through this camp alive!

Nick & Dan
 
After the mindset lesson, we were given 5-10 minutes to be on the basketball court. A quick sunscreen dash etc & then Commando took us through our paces on squat technique & deadlift technique using our dowels & then we tried a 40kg deadlift - which I did 5 reps of. All teams then added 20kg more & whilst I only managed 1 rep - I've never ever deadlifted 60kgs in my life!
 
We then had a team challenge with rowing & deadlifts & that was actually fun - yes, you heard it here - something "fun" at the Commando camp. My team came last but we didn't care - we all worked our hardest.
 
It was then time for lunch cold meats, raw veggies, salads & fruit - wooh hoo - more rest time afterwards! After lunch, we had a nutrition session. Commando Steve is a big advocate of the Paleo way of eating & it was a really good session. It was quite hot though as it was approx 36 degrees that day & sdome of us were really tired from the heat & the morning sessions.
 
After lunch - back on the basketball court! Actually, that's a lie, we firstly had to move all of the equipment from Friday night down to the basketball courts - nothing like a mini warm up Commando Style in 36 degree heat! Commando then checked our squat technique & push press technique, all I was thinking was - oh no, what's in store after this!!
 
We were told to get into pairs, so Sharon & I paired up of course - we hadn't worked much together that day as we were in different teams all morning. We had to pick one team member to go first - 5 exercises - step ups on the tyres, push press with 10kg or 20kg weight, rowing machine, squats & kettlebell pulls - you had to do 1 minute rounds with 10 seconds rest in between & record the number of reps at each station 3 times through - it was a hard 17 or so minutes! I was so glad I had Sharon there egging me on - your partner was there to count & record your reps & encourage you - we then swapped over & it was Sharon's turn. All of the trainers were checking your technique on everything as well so there was no slacking off! Afterwards, we were exhausted, it was so hot outside & we'd all worked really hard.
 
Nick & Dan then took a recovery session & we got to play with our foam rollers - no such thing as an afternoon tea break on the Commando camp!

Me doing the Scorpion - it felt so good!!
 
 
After the recovery session, it was then time for an outdoor yoga session - they had 2 yoga instructors come to the camp which was a nice change of pace, except lots of groans from most of us trying to get into all the different positions with muscle soreness from the days activities & the smashing from the night before. We were lying there all relaxed when poor Sharon cried out - she'd been stung by a bee! Oh no! She's never been stung by a bee before so we were worried whether she was allergic to them etc. One of the instructors scraped it out - after trying to take it out with tweezers - which Sharon told her was a big no no! Poor Shaz :-( Luckily, she wasn't allergic.
 
After the yoga session, it was then dinner time - the afternoon had been jam packed - dinner was roast beef & veggies or garlic & chilli chicken. I started eating my dinner & it really wasn't going down that well, I actually started feeling sick, so I went to our dorm & threw up :-( I felt terrible by this time & I think it was due to the heat as I hadn't drank enough water to compensate for being outside most of the day training...I went to lay down, then Sharon came in & wasn't well either. I threw up 2 more times after that. Nick came in to check on us, then Dan. Part of my brain was hoping that Commando wasn't going to come in & make me get up as I was all clammy & yucky. Dan was really nice though, as he said, it had been a huge day & we both only had around 4 hours sleep the night before. I didn't go to the Saturday night session - and it wasn't even training - it was a team building session which a few of the girls filled me in on the next day.
 
The trainers did make the others do 50 burpees off our debt - poor buggers. And we still had almost 200 to go even after that!
 
Another night of broken sleep followed, those beds were really not comfortable at all!
 
The next post will be the 3rd & final installment from the Commando camp where I abseiled for the first time ever thanks to Nick! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment